Nuts Planet 1/9 101st Airborne Trooper

Fantasy, military, gundam etc
Stokesy44
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
Great Britain

Re: Nuts Planet 1/9 101st Airborne Trooper

Post by Stokesy44 »

rcfanuk wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:21 am Good to see you back mate, looking forward to seeing this come together 👍

Steve
Cheers mate.

First real session today :th:

As the kit comes with 2 heads I thought I would paint them both - firstly, to get my money's worth :lol: - but also to practice on the Mohawk fella before I work on the Winters bonce.

Base coat was sprayed a while ago so I worked on the hair and then the skin shading today. I applied highs and lows then blended them in using thinned colours and a brown wash. I also did the whites of the eyes and the black for the irises.

ImageIMG_5621 by David Stokes, on Flickr

ImageIMG_5622 by David Stokes, on Flickr

ImageIMG_5624 by David Stokes, on Flickr

The eyes need their colour and highlights then I'll switch to oils for skin tone washes. All good fun.

I did the helmet too. First up was the netting then the cloth strips using different tones of brown and green. Once I've done some dry brushing for chipping on the edges, I'll switch to oils here too.

ImageIMG_5626 by David Stokes, on Flickr

ImageIMG_5629 by David Stokes, on Flickr

ImageIMG_5627 by David Stokes, on Flickr

I thought of all sorts of ways I could paint the 506th PIR spade emblem using paint masks but in the end I thought, stuff it, just free hand paint the thing!

Looks ok to me :th:

Its good to be properly back in the groove :dance:
:cheers2:
Its been tried and tested, it works! So don't blame the system if you're no good. :doh:
Fridgy
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Australia

Post by Fridgy »

Looking great stokesy
Mick
WIP: 1/12 Bandai BB-8 & R2-D2
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Canada

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

You are good at this mate, really good :thumb2: :clap:
Scott

On, Under or Near the Bench:
Snoopy vs Red Baron Easter egg build
1/72 Black Pearl Pirate Ship
Magnum PI figures and helicopter
Miss Budweiser Hydroplane
1/32 Merlin v12 Engines
Tomcat64
Colonel
Colonel
England

Post by Tomcat64 »

Really, really nice work mate!
Cheers, Neil

On the Bench:
ICM 1/48 AH-1G Arctic Cobra
Stokesy44
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
Great Britain

Post by Stokesy44 »

Fridgy wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:16 pm Looking great stokesy
Twokidsnosleep wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:15 pm You are good at this mate, really good :thumb2: :clap:
Tomcat64 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:54 am Really, really nice work mate!
Thanks Guys,

Had a couple of bench visits today. First off I finished the eyes on the Mohawk head. I'm not too happy so I may do them again, the pupils look a bit off to me. Maybe, maybe not.

ImageIMG_5636 by David Stokes, on Flickr

ImageIMG_5637 by David Stokes, on Flickr

I then did some washes for wood effects on the M1 before adding in the gun metal sections. I'll enhance the wood some more when I apply a satin varnish to it. I'll cut in a little light brown and orange into the varnish and that will hopefully create more grain in the wood.

ImageIMG_5638 by David Stokes, on Flickr

ImageIMG_5639 by David Stokes, on Flickr

I then got stuck into shading on the field jacket. I painted in the shadows using the base colour cut with black, then brushed / dry brushed highlights using the base plus white. Finally I applied a dry brush with the base just to tone and blend. Still more to do but its off to a nice start. Once I'm happy with the shading I'll switch to oils for washing but that's a way off still.

ImageIMG_5640 by David Stokes, on Flickr

ImageIMG_5641 by David Stokes, on Flickr

ImageIMG_5642 by David Stokes, on Flickr

All in all, some good progress, time well spent since the cricket finished yesterday.
Its been tried and tested, it works! So don't blame the system if you're no good. :doh:
Tomcat64
Colonel
Colonel
England

Post by Tomcat64 »

Great progress mate - the eyes look good to me but you may be seeing something the camera isn't picking up.

What did you make of the pink ball?
Cheers, Neil

On the Bench:
Stokesy44
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
Great Britain

Post by Stokesy44 »

Tomcat64 wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:02 am Great progress mate - the eyes look good to me but you may be seeing something the camera isn't picking up.

What did you make of the pink ball?
Thanks mate

I wasn't impressed to be honest. For English cricket I just don't see it, the conditions don't support it and day games are well attended enough as it is. The only thing it does do is give our players some experience ahead of the day / night game scheduled for the Ashes. Admittedly, a game against the Windies isn't a decent test, but it did give our bowlers and batters some experience.

I was watching Cricket Writers on TV yesterday morning and one of the guys said he struggled to see the pink ball from the stands, kind of self-defeating if the whole point is to increase ground attendance.

There's loads that could be done to help test cricket, this just seems like typical ICC nonsense as opposed to tackling the real issues.

Still, a win is a win, and before everyone starts lamenting the state of West Indian cricket, this is the kind of drubbing they regularly handed out to us back in the 1980s so I don't feel too sorry for them :th:
Tomcat64
Colonel
Colonel
England

Post by Tomcat64 »

Same here. The guys on TMS were saying the same thing about losing sight of the ball at certain times during the evening sessions too.

My first thought was that they were trying to boost the crowds by having sessions "after work" as it were, but as you said the day crowds are generally ok. I just wonder if the weak West Indian side was part of the decision making - people might not be tempted to take time off work to attend a day session for a weak team, especially when there's a chance the game will be finished prior to the money-spinning weekend days.
Cheers, Neil

On the Bench:
Stokesy44
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
Great Britain

Post by Stokesy44 »

Tomcat64 wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:45 am Same here. The guys on TMS were saying the same thing about losing sight of the ball at certain times during the evening sessions too.

My first thought was that they were trying to boost the crowds by having sessions "after work" as it were, but as you said the day crowds are generally ok. I just wonder if the weak West Indian side was part of the decision making - people might not be tempted to take time off work to attend a day session for a weak team, especially when there's a chance the game will be finished prior to the money-spinning weekend days.
Absolutely. The tickets were deeply discounted too so that must be factored in when looking at how big the crowds were.
Stokesy44
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
Great Britain

Post by Stokesy44 »

Got started on Lt Winters today.

Same as the Mohawk head I applied light and darks then blended a little with thinned out mixes of varying shades. I also filled in the whites of the eyes and the black for the iris backgrounds. They still need to the blueing for the irises and the pupils and highlights. As for the skin tones, there's more blending and then oil washes still to do.

ImageIMG_5648 by David Stokes, on Flickr
ImageIMG_5649 by David Stokes, on Flickr
ImageIMG_5650 by David Stokes, on Flickr
ImageIMG_5653 by David Stokes, on Flickr

Only used one drop of paint for each colour and still loads left over. The flesh tones are thick paints so its hard to get a smaller blob to come out of the bottle! :lol:

ImageIMG_5654 by David Stokes, on Flickr

These are the 2 brushes I used, left hand one for the eyes (obviously ;) )

ImageIMG_5656 by David Stokes, on Flickr

Sneak peak of what he'll look like under the helmet. The shade from the helmet shows how much more blending and subtle shading needs doing. It makes him look a bit pale but the washes will fix that.

ImageIMG_5662 by David Stokes, on Flickr
ImageIMG_5664 by David Stokes, on Flickr
ImageIMG_5666 by David Stokes, on Flickr

All in all, a good session, had my war themes playlist on so I was happy as Larry while I worked. Great fun.
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Canada

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

Magic!!!
Scott

1/32 Merlin v12 Engines
Stokesy44
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
Great Britain

Post by Stokesy44 »

Twokidsnosleep wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:52 pm Magic!!!
Cheers my friend. Harry Potter aint got nothing on me! :th:

Truth be told it was great to be back at the bench. I've been feeling fine recovery wise, just haven't been inclined to get stuck in. As soon as I got going though, I thought, what have I been doing all this time away from the bench? This is great!

I am such an idiot :tongue:
Kevthemodeller
Major
Major
England

Post by Kevthemodeller »

Outstanding :th:
Kev

On the bench:
Tamiya KGV
sheppsea
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
England

Post by sheppsea »

Excellent work :th:
Stokesy44
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
Great Britain

Post by Stokesy44 »

Kevthemodeller wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:55 pm Outstanding :th:
sheppsea wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:32 am Excellent work :th:
Thanks Guys

Got the eyes finished today.

ImageIMG_5675 by David Stokes, on Flickr
ImageIMG_5677 by David Stokes, on Flickr

I then applied washes to the skin for more blending and to try and create a clean shaven look. I used hull red and dark brown for the washes and mixed a grey wash for where he would have shaved. I think I need a little bit more blending on his right cheek, the highlight is still a bit too obvious at its edges.

ImageIMG_5683 by David Stokes, on Flickr
ImageIMG_5684 by David Stokes, on Flickr

Did the same for the Mohawk. Overall washes then grey for the shaved area on the face and an off white for where he shaved his head. My reason being a freshly shaved head will be paler than a face that has been exposed to the elements. It kind of makes sense :crazy:

ImageIMG_5688 by David Stokes, on Flickr
ImageIMG_5693 by David Stokes, on Flickr

Then I mounted both heads to see how they look tonally with the torso. I need to make sure they are not at odds with the palette I'm trying to achieve on the uniform and kit.

ImageIMG_5701 by David Stokes, on Flickr
ImageIMG_5704 by David Stokes, on Flickr
ImageIMG_5707 by David Stokes, on Flickr
ImageIMG_5718 by David Stokes, on Flickr
ImageIMG_5723 by David Stokes, on Flickr

Tomorrow, I'll fix Winters' cheek then its onto more shading on the torso and various kit bits and bobs.
Tomcat64
Colonel
Colonel
England

Post by Tomcat64 »

Absolutely fabulous work mate - those last two shots really bring home the level of realism you're achieving.

I thought your pilot was good but this is just stepping it up another level - great to see the progress :clap:
Cheers, Neil

On the Bench:
Stokesy44
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
Great Britain

Post by Stokesy44 »

Tomcat64 wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:56 am Absolutely fabulous work mate - those last two shots really bring home the level of realism you're achieving.

I thought your pilot was good but this is just stepping it up another level - great to see the progress :clap:
Thanks mate.

I keep saying it but I cant stress enough just how AMAZING the moulds are on this kit. It is definitely a step up from the pilot from Mitches models, I though the resin on that was good, but this thing is simply incredible. :crazy:

I'll take a tiny bit of credit as I'm learning as I go. Having 2 heads to work on is a definite plus as well. I thought I'd use the Mohawk just for practice but I'm going to keep both and swap them around as and when I feel like it. Still undecided whether I'll do his face paint for D day or leave him as the day after when he's washed it off!
Kevthemodeller
Major
Major
England

Post by Kevthemodeller »

Oh my god :jd: if only I could do that :clap: :clap:
Kev

On the bench:
Tamiya KGV
Stokesy44
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
Great Britain

Post by Stokesy44 »

Kevthemodeller wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:19 am Oh my god :jd: if only I could do that :clap: :clap:
Thanks mate, high praise indeed. I have to admit I'm pleased with it but there's a number of contributing factors. It's a fantastic kit, I've got good paints, I've used a painting tutorial and I've looked at loads of figure examples for how to do stuff. In short, I loaded the deck very much in my favour :shhh:
rcfanuk
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Wales

Post by rcfanuk »

Looking great 👍
Kevthemodeller
Major
Major
England

Post by Kevthemodeller »

Out of interest what paint are you using?
Kev

On the bench:
Tamiya KGV
Stokesy44
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
Great Britain

Post by Stokesy44 »

Kevthemodeller wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:01 pm Out of interest what paint are you using?
Scale 75 flesh set for the face, Vallejo model colour for the rest plus a bit of Tamiya and Vallejo model air black and white mixed with the base colours when doing the shading effects on the uniform and equipment.
xSCAR45
Sergeant
Sergeant
United States of America

Post by xSCAR45 »

That's a really nice figure you got going. Great work so far!
But why is Travis from Taxi Driver included? :D
Stokesy44
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
Great Britain

Post by Stokesy44 »

xSCAR45 wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:32 pm That's a really nice figure you got going. Great work so far!
But why is Travis from Taxi Driver included? :D
Thanks mate. It's a bit like Kryten in Red Dwarf. It's always good to have a spare head when you need one!
Stokesy44
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
Great Britain

Post by Stokesy44 »

Finally got myself back to the bench, yeah!

Little bit of clean up on the rifle then I attached it and the hands to the torso.

Finished the shading on the main body. The ruck and ammo bandolier were the last things that needed doing.

Dry brushing on the helmet to pick out the fabric strips and some bare metal on the edges.

Popped Lt Winters on to have a look. The painting side is done now. The final job is oils on the uniform and equipment then he's done.

I'll break out the oils tomorrow then after that a coat of matt to get rid of any shine on the uniform and gear.
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Canada

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

Holy cow he looks lifelike :jd:
I would be freaked out waiting for him to turn his head or raise his gun at me
God man, that is amazing work :bow::
Scott

1/32 Merlin v12 Engines
Stokesy44
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
Great Britain

Post by Stokesy44 »

Twokidsnosleep wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:23 pm Holy cow he looks lifelike :jd:
I would be freaked out waiting for him to turn his head or raise his gun at me
God man, that is amazing work :bow::
Thanks matey.

I confess I've caught myself looking at him, thinking, 'What's on your mind bud? :crazy:
xSCAR45
Sergeant
Sergeant
United States of America

Post by xSCAR45 »

Outstanding work Stokesy! :clap:

All that's missing is a cigarette in his mouth to give him some artistic grit. ;)
Tomcat64
Colonel
Colonel
England

Post by Tomcat64 »

Absolutely stunning work mate :clap:

That last shot has a real touch of the "Do ya feel lucky punk?" in the expression!

Brilliant simply brilliant!
Cheers, Neil

On the Bench:
Stokesy44
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
Great Britain

Post by Stokesy44 »

Tomcat64 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:20 am Absolutely stunning work mate :clap:

That last shot has a real touch of the "Do ya feel lucky punk?" in the expression!

Brilliant simply brilliant!
Thanks mate, he could be saying any number of quotes from the series!

Fire your weapon Blythe!

Keep moving forward!

When I say wait for my command, you wait for my command, sergeant!

I'm not a Quaker....
Stokesy44
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
Great Britain

Post by Stokesy44 »

Ok, I'm calling this done. Still need to buy a plinth though :crazy:

Attached all the bits including the sling for the M1. Then went to work on the oils. They've matted down the uniform and kit nicely so I don't need to matt coat after all.

The oil work was an overall black wash then cut in with white, tan, green and brown for some variation. I used white predominantly on the uniform to try and fade it a little and get away from the brightness of the main colour.

You can see how the oils have changed the uniform colour compared to how it was before in the picture below. I'm pleased because the colour is more natural but it hasn't got any darker - something I was trying to avoid.

Here's the rest of the final pics

And the Mohawk. While I love the Winters head and helmet, I think the Mohawk is actually a better effort on my part, the skin tones are blended better and there's something about the final look of him that I like. However, my regard for the man (and the actor) means I will probably display him as Winters once I get a proper base for him.

I was pleased with how the ruck came out in the end. The oils have really darkened it down and brought out all the contours in the material and strapping.

Thanks so much for looking in during the build and for all your kind comments. Be it banter, tips or compliments, its all good and very much appreciated.

Next up for me is some armour. I haven't had the guts to shell out for any of the 3 RP Models busts I fancy so its time to raid the stash and start something different.
xSCAR45
Sergeant
Sergeant
United States of America

Post by xSCAR45 »

This is art! Well done Stokesy! :clap:
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Canada

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

Been fun watching this unfold
Scott

1/32 Merlin v12 Engines
Kevthemodeller
Major
Major
England

Post by Kevthemodeller »

Amazing mate :jd: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Kev

On the bench:
Tamiya KGV
Stokesy44
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
Great Britain

Post by Stokesy44 »

:th: Thanks guys.
Tomcat64
Colonel
Colonel
England

Post by Tomcat64 »

Mate that's absolutely stunning!

Whilst I like the Mohawk head the whole things looks so much more complete as Winters in my humble opinion.

You should be justifiably proud of this result - it's awesome!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Cheers, Neil

On the Bench:
Stokesy44
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
Great Britain

Post by Stokesy44 »

Tomcat64 wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:57 pm Mate that's absolutely stunning!

Whilst I like the Mohawk head the whole things looks so much more complete as Winters in my humble opinion.

You should be justifiably proud of this result - it's awesome!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Thanks Neil. I am well pleased, I'll admit. :th:

Heads wise, he now resides as Lt Winters! Mohawk head is safely sealed in a little bag in the kit box for display at a later data. I managed to use the little cone / plinth the kit comes with too so he's properly done and dusted now.
rcfanuk
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Wales

Post by rcfanuk »

That’s a great job mate, that’s definitely going on my “buy” list 👍
Stokesy44
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
Great Britain

Post by Stokesy44 »

rcfanuk wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:08 pm That’s a great job mate, that’s definitely going on my “buy” list 👍
Cheers mate. I would highly recommend it.
Milan
Private
Private
UN

Post by Milan »

Great job. This Mohawk guy reminds me of Robert De Niro in movie Taxi Driver.
Stokesy44
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
Great Britain

Post by Stokesy44 »

Milan wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:20 am Great job. This Mohawk guy reminds me of Robert De Niro in movie Taxi Driver.
Are you talking to me? :lol:

I think you're right mate. Its one of the things Nuts Planet do. They use popular culture references where actors have played historical characters. The Robert De Niro likeness is a bit of a stretch for them though. I guess they took advantage of the look from Taxi Driver and paired it with the troopers who had the Mohawk in order to get a good looking head. I don't know anything about the sculpting process but I guess they can get better results with more modern reference material like film still etc. CAD design maybe?

Fascinating.

Return to “Figures”